In Bunsei 6 (1823), a small-scale 2.8-hectare irihama salt farm was developed in the Furuike area of Fukuuramura. Land reclamation steadily progressed, and the farm had grown to 3.6 hectares by Meiji 17 (1884). The farm was temporarily closed in Showa 4 (1929), but in Showa 29 (1954), it was reopened and converted into a ryukashiki salt farm by the Higashihama Salt Producers Cooperative Association. Now, parts of the farm such as the tidal levee have been repaired, and the shijoka (structures made of bamboo branches over which seawater was sprinkled to increase evaporation) on the inside of the farm are no longer there, but the farm’s substructure remains in its original form.
Ako City Board of Education Cultural Properties Division