Kokushoji Temple was one of the Amakusa Shigahonji founded in 1648 by Suzuki Shigenari, the first local governor for the sake of the stability of public sentiment. It is one of the Amakusa Shigahonji and includes branch temples and hermitages. The first chief priest, Yuton Zenji, was given a deed to the temple’s territory of 45 koku (about 8,000 liters of rice) by the local governor on December 13, and he managed the temple territory in Shirakio village and Toshikara village. Its garden is a Zen garden that skillfully makes use of the natural beauty of the large temple grounds. It was completed in 1838, and it is now a Reihoku Town designated cultural property.