Ako Hachiman Shrine enshrines the guardian deity of Ako’s southern region, and it was moved to its current location from Zendojima, located in Makimura (Tenwa), in Oei 13 (1406). In Shoho 2 (1645), Asano Naganao, the feudal lord of Ako Domain, contributed to the shrine in a variety of ways, including increasing the area of land it owned. The shrine was also venerated by subsequent generations of feudal lords and the Oishi family, among others. As a result, the shrine possesses a number of historical works of culture associated with them. Osaki, the village where the shrine is located, was densely populated with salt farm workers. Donations the shrine received from these workers, including a late Edo period drawing of the Higashihama Salt Farm, and numerous ema (small wooden plaques on which people write prayers) and stone items, still remain.