According to legend, Ko Shrine’s story began during the reign of Empress Kogyoku, when Hata no Kawakatsu enshrined the god Susanoo-no-Mikoto. There are records that in Enpo 3 (1675) and Shotoku 5 (1715), Ko Shrine’s front building was restored, and in Kansei 12 (1800), the entire shrine was restored. In Meiji 42 (1909), Shiogama Shrine, which used to be located in Shioyamura, was relocated to the grounds of Ko Shrine. The people of Shioyamura, where the Nishihama Salt Farm was located, worshipped the deity enshrined in Ko Shrine as the guardian of the village. Donations that the shrine has received range from objects carved from stone, such as stone lanterns and guardian dogs, to the funaema (paintings of ships given to shrines as a way to pray for the safety of those who travel by boat) that were donated by the village leaders from the Shibahara family.