More than 10,000 members of the Christian uprising were killed in the Shimabara-Amakusa Rebellion, which occurred in 1637. This kubizuka (burial mound for severed heads) is one of the places where more than 3300 decapitated heads, or one-third of the total, were buried. The monument was erected by Suzuki Shigenari, the local governor, in 1647 to pray for their souls. The inscription on the monument’s plaque was selected by Chuka Keihou, the chief priest of Rurikoji Temple in Yamaguchi. The Christian Memorial Monument, locally called “Kubizuka” or “Senninzuka,” quietly stands on a sand hill near the sea, and is designated as a National Historic Site.